Predict When, Where and Why Failure Occurs
By nature of their construction, advanced materials may be tailored to address specific service requirements. GENOA MS-PFA is a reliable methodology that employs a full-hierarchical modeling that goes down to the micro-scale of sub-divided unit cells composed of fiber bundles and their surrounding matrix to assess the behavior of constituent materials subject to load. In this environment, GENOA provides engineers with the predictive computational technology to assess mechanical performance of advanced composite structures subject to static, dynamic, fatigue, and impact loadings
Using GENOA MS-PFA with a commercial FEA solver, engineers are able to:
- Test Validated Solutions
- Augment finite element analysis (FEA) with multi-scale composite mechanics.
- Track damage initiation and fracture propagation
- Predict and simulate all 5 stages of the damage process.
- Switch solvers/boundary condition/analysis type before or after simulation while maintaining residual damage and stresses.
- Calculates crack density, micro-cracks in the matrix, delamination within the plies, and fiber failure in tension and compression including micro-buckling.
- Account for defects (void shapes and sizes), fiber waviness, and residual stresses –
- Identify damage at the "root cause" of the composite in matrix and fiber using dedicated physics based damage/failure criteria.
- Supports Failure Criteria (In-built and User Defined)
- Obtain static solutions with NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ANSYS, OPTISTRUCT, LS-DYNA
Products used for this application
GENOA is a durability & damage tolerance, progressive failure, and reliability software that provides engineers with predictive computational technology to characterize and qualify advanced composite materials and structures.